Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Lost Friend

The amazing bike below has become my best friend in Miami. A dear friend introduced me to Gary Hobbs; master bike builder and an avid cyclist in Coos Bay Oregon. I spoke to Gary in early January of this year about building me a new bike for my adventures in the flat lands of Florida ("my tour of duty"). Gary confirmed my selection and said that no other production bike is built and cared for like the Merckx. Gary help me put together not only a dream bike, but a bike that rode like a dream. Upon receiving the bike in early February, it was immediate bliss and I corresponded with Gary several times thanking him profusely for the unending joy this two wheeled object continues to provide me while in Miami.

Sadly, I learned today that Gary died after a long battle with Leukemia just a couple weeks ago. I'm stunned as Gary was headed down to California for some riding after we spoke. I'm reminded again today (thankfully) that we all need to live, ride, love, see, be as if it were our last days. It will soon be my anniversary for such lesson (April 19th).


Merckx MXM 2005 model (lotto domo racing edition). Pure mono formed carbon. Campy Record, FSA K-force stem, cranks, handlebars; Topolino wheelsets (dreamy).

1 Comments:

Blogger thedurovcircle said...

Hey, nice bike!! ;)

That pink cruiser is pretty sweet, too. Oregon was amazing - we met Gary's wife, saw the operation, etc etc. Next time you are back in Seattle for a stretch, let me know and I'll come down for a bike ride. What a stunning part of the country!

later,
david

6:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home